Işıl Boy's Blog

educational technology

The Potential of M-Learning

01/10/2012 by isilboy · 1 Comment · EdTech

M-learning (mobile learning) means simply letting users learn wherever, whenever they want, which is valued in the modern world where people cannot seem to spare enough time for anything. It also allows people to integrate their studies into other aspects of their lives.

E-learning is regarded as learning ‘beyond classroom walls‘, and m-learning, which is regarded as an extension of e-learning, is now seen as learning ‘beyond computer screens‘.  

M-learning provides intrinsic motivation, which comes from within an individual, since it makes learning more fun and meaningful. As we do not usually buy our mobile phones or tablet devices for our studies, we may nevertheless, consider them as fun tools to use. According to the study carried by Mockus et al. (2011), m-learning motivated students to learn, and most of the students stated that they found it beneficial, fun, and meaningful.

Two weeks ago, I gave a presentation on m-learning with my tutor  Gary Motteram, course director of the MA in Educational Technology and TESOL at the University of Manchester, at the World Members’ Conference in Istanbul.

Our abstract: Mobile devices are usually the first thing we touch after we wake up and the last thing we touch before going to bed, we seem to have the whole world in our palms now. It is acknowledged that mobile learning, in addition to motivating learners, helps them to learn anywhere anytime since learning is now available to the learners’ in their own environments and is not restricted to (physical) classroom settings. In this workshop, presenters will discuss the potential of mobile learning for classroom use, and some issues to consider before using tablets in the classroom. Ultimately, they will introduce both online and offline apps for English language teaching and learning.

Our presentation:

Mockus, L., Dawson, H., Edel-Malizia, S., Shaffer, D., An, J., & Swaggerty, A. (2011). The Impact of Mobile Access on Motivation: Distance. Education Student Perceptions.

One Comment so far ↓

• Dinçer Demir

at first thanks for the post Işıl. It is great and drive me to think about the term M-learning. Especially I like that utterance ” E-learning is regarded as learning ‘beyond classroom walls‘, and m-learning, which is regarded as an extension of e-learning, is now seen as learning ‘beyond computer screens‘. ”

Mobile technologies are all around and covering us. In this technology jail, the people who use them effectively will find the true way. Mobile gadgets are also vital tools . So you show the way. Thanks… again..