Işıl Boy's Blog

educational technology

ME-LEARNING: More Apps

13/04/2012 by isilboy · 8 Comments · EdTech

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have developed the term ME-Learning which includes both mobile applications as a part of mobile learning and blogs or wikis as e-learning tools.

Here are some more apps along with some tips to help you collect the materials you have created with apps, in your blog or wiki.

QR READER

QR Reader is a free app to read and generate QR Codes.

How 2.0 Use QR Codes with Your Students:

• Let your students set some goals for learning English, create QR codes by choosing “Create Text Code”, and upload them to your class blog or wiki.
  • Divide your students into groups of three,  give each group a part of the story in a QR code. Ask them negotiate to find the story, and assign them some roles, let one student from each group responsible of reading the QR code.

You can also generate QR codes with qrstuff.com.  As for the educational technology course I am conducting, I asked the participants to go to http://www.qrstuff.com/ and write what they hope to achieve by the end of the course. I also asked them to e-mail their “QR” codes to me. Finally I uploaded all the QR codes to our course wiki. (Please click on the image below to view  full size)

LINOIT

Linoit is an online stickies service that offers stickies and canvases. It is available on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. You can create online stickes and canvases via linoit and access them on your PC. You can also upload photos and videos from your iPhone.

How 2.0 Use Linoit with Your Students:

• Have your students practise tenses by writing sentences on the wall.
  • Ask your students write their opinions on a topic.
  • Post a video onto the wall, ask  a few questions and have your students write their responses.
  • Ask your students post the words they have learnt that week onto the wall.

8 Comments so far ↓

• Dina Dobrou

Hi Isil,
    I’ve been exploring QR codes too and creating them with http://qrcode.littleidiot.be/ (very simple so I loved the QRstuff site you recommend). Do you use the wiki just to store the codes? I have seen sites with QR codes and don’t see the reason for it as a simple link would have
    done the trick. QRcodes are supposed to connect something in the real world with something in the virtual world, aren’t they? I still refrain from uploading them on our wiki. What do you think?
    Dina

• isilboy

Hi Dina,

I used QR codes in the very first lesson to let the participants share their objectives, and I uploaded them to our class wiki. Next week is the last week of the course. Hence, I will read all the QR codes, and we will see if their objectives have been meet. Here, I aim to use my class wiki as a collective tool.

Best,

Işıl

• Dina Dobrou

So, awareness and reflection all in one place. Thanks, Işıl. :)

• Debbie

Dear Isil
    I use linoit to teach online, so I post recordings, videos, activities. Skype is the tool for the meeting. Do you think it’s a good combination, or would suggest another tool to replace Skype?
    Thanks for sharing and thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Hugs
    Debbie

• Debbie

Dear Isil,
    I use linoit to teach on line along with Skype. So, I post recordings, videos, activities, and all we need for the class on linoit. Do you think it’s a good combination or would you recommend an alternative combination?
    Thanks in advance and thanks for sharing
    Hugs
    Debbie

• isilboy

Hi Debbie,

I think it is a great idea, you can also embed your lino into your class blog or wiki :-)

All the best,

Işıl

• beyzayilmaz

Hi Işıl,

Linoit is a great tool which can be used for different purposes. I use it at the end of the day and ask my students a question.
    Here is an example:
    http://linoit.com/users/beyzay/canvases/Architecture
    This usually helps them to use the new structures learned at that day and it is possible to involve other people in this process. I post the link on twitter and use a relevant tag so that other people can write comments.

QR code definitely an area to work on and it has a great potential. I look forward to more posts on it ;)

Best,

Beyza

• isilboy

Hi dear,

Thanks for stopping by. I really loved your lino, and will definitely show it to my students :-)

QR codes are fun to work with :-)

Hugs,

Işıl